"For most of us the problem isn't that we aim too high and fail- it's just the opposite- we aim too low and succeed."
-Sir. Ken Robinson

Monday, October 3, 2011

Day Thirty-Five, Antigua

Friday started out slow. I had no classes and no major plans for the day, so I stayed in my studio space at Casa Herrera working on updating information online (ie, this blog) and continuing my work on my coloring book. I got several pages completed for the coloring book and have them up on the right hand side to view. The book is going much faster than I thought it would, because it isn't as detailed as my usual work, so I am hoping to get more pages finished than I originally thought. I stayed at my studio working throughout the morning, and worked on my map in the afternoon, trying to get as much work completed as possible for next week.
At dinner, we had two more people staying at the house. Scott and John are missionaries who have worked in Guatemala off and on for a few years at different volunteer sites. We had a long talk at the table about what they have done in the area and what they think about Guatemala. We talked about some difficult issues, including orphanages, hospitals, and poor family dynamics which define a terrible cycle of neglect, abuse, and poverty. We also talked about a documentary that the two men saw premiered last year here in Guatemala, a copy of which they have lent to me to view with the rest of the Casa Herrera students.
That night I packed up for our weekend at Lago Atitlan, Chichicastenango, and some of the religious buildings at those places.

No comments:

Post a Comment