"For most of us the problem isn't that we aim too high and fail- it's just the opposite- we aim too low and succeed."
-Sir. Ken Robinson

Friday, April 15, 2011

Old Artist Statement

Artist Statement

As a practicing art educator and art historian, I have begun to focus my attention on Mesoamerican art and education, specifically within the Maya and Mexica cultures. Through this study, I have found inspiration and a means of expression in Maya imagery and form which appeals and functions as a creative outlet in my visual art. My recent work has centered on accepting Maya imagery and symbolism as my own tool for expression and molding these tools with my own unique character and style. Through accepting these elements of Maya expression, I have been able to explore new and more personal concepts in my work.

It is with the birth of The Boston Codex that I have found the means of culminating the elements of Maya imagery, my character and style, and personal theme into a visual project massive in scale. A compendium of the personalities of the people in my life, The Boston Codex is quickly becoming an outlet of relationship expression that answers and asks questions in an almost verbal dialogue with anyone who views it. Presentation of this piece is almost as important as the piece itself in expressing my study of the history of the Maya people and the cultures of Mesoamerica. Presented as an actual historical Maya codex, The Boston Codex crosses the boundaries of historical scholarship and artistic deception.

SK Hampton

No comments:

Post a Comment